Verstappen extends Red Bull deal through 2030
N
NewsDesk
Original post · 20 Aug
If you've spent any of this year wondering whether Max Verstappen would still be in a Red Bull come 2027, you can put that one to bed. The four-time world champion has signed a new deal that keeps him at the team he's raced with his entire F1 career.
What the new deal actually means
Verstappen's previous contract was set to run out at the end of 2028. The new agreement extends that commitment to at least the end of 2030, by which point he'll be 33 years old. In short, one of the sport's biggest stars is staying put for the long haul.
This matters because it wasn't a given. It's understood his management held talks with McLaren earlier this year over a possible switch for 2027. Given how the season has gone, a move away wasn't as far-fetched as it might once have seemed.
A tough season behind the announcement
The timing is worth noting because 2026 hasn't been kind to Verstappen. He's currently sixth in the Drivers' Championship, sitting 110 points behind leader Kimi Antonelli heading into this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix.
Despite that, Verstappen sounded settled about the decision. "I am really pleased with the contract extension. We have the best people and I'm excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again," he said, describing the team as "like a second family" and pointing to the four World Championships they've won together.
Team principal Laurent Mekies called it "fantastic news," adding that "retaining the best driver on the grid" is good for Red Bull, F1 and motorsport more broadly. Verstappen, for his part, said he sees "a clear vision" in Mekies for where the team is heading.
What it means for fans and bettors
For fans, this removes a big storyline from the silly-season rumour mill. No more guessing games about Verstappen turning up in papaya orange next year, at least for now.
For anyone who follows the betting markets, driver contract news tends to filter through to outright and futures pricing. With his seat confirmed through 2030, any uncertainty premium tied to a possible exit is off the table, though his 2026 title hopes look slim given that 110-point gap. Where he lands in longer-term championship markets will depend far more on how quickly Red Bull can get the car back to the front.
The season resumes after the summer break with a Sprint weekend at the Dutch Grand Prix, starting Friday, with practice at 11.30am and Sprint Qualifying at 3.30pm. It'll be Verstappen's first outing since putting pen to paper, and racing on home soil at that.
Sources:
What the new deal actually means
Verstappen's previous contract was set to run out at the end of 2028. The new agreement extends that commitment to at least the end of 2030, by which point he'll be 33 years old. In short, one of the sport's biggest stars is staying put for the long haul.
This matters because it wasn't a given. It's understood his management held talks with McLaren earlier this year over a possible switch for 2027. Given how the season has gone, a move away wasn't as far-fetched as it might once have seemed.
A tough season behind the announcement
The timing is worth noting because 2026 hasn't been kind to Verstappen. He's currently sixth in the Drivers' Championship, sitting 110 points behind leader Kimi Antonelli heading into this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix.
Despite that, Verstappen sounded settled about the decision. "I am really pleased with the contract extension. We have the best people and I'm excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again," he said, describing the team as "like a second family" and pointing to the four World Championships they've won together.
Team principal Laurent Mekies called it "fantastic news," adding that "retaining the best driver on the grid" is good for Red Bull, F1 and motorsport more broadly. Verstappen, for his part, said he sees "a clear vision" in Mekies for where the team is heading.
What it means for fans and bettors
For fans, this removes a big storyline from the silly-season rumour mill. No more guessing games about Verstappen turning up in papaya orange next year, at least for now.
For anyone who follows the betting markets, driver contract news tends to filter through to outright and futures pricing. With his seat confirmed through 2030, any uncertainty premium tied to a possible exit is off the table, though his 2026 title hopes look slim given that 110-point gap. Where he lands in longer-term championship markets will depend far more on how quickly Red Bull can get the car back to the front.
The season resumes after the summer break with a Sprint weekend at the Dutch Grand Prix, starting Friday, with practice at 11.30am and Sprint Qualifying at 3.30pm. It'll be Verstappen's first outing since putting pen to paper, and racing on home soil at that.
Sources:
0 replies
Join the conversation
Members reply, share payout experiences and flag problems. It’s free.